Monday, February 12, 2007

Zed's Dead, Baby!



Jules Winnfield: What does Marcellus Wallace look like?

Brett: What?

Jules Winnfield: What country you from?

Brett: What?

Jules Winnfield: What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?

Brett: What?

Jules Winnfield: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

Brett: Yes.

Jules Winnfield: Then you know what I'm saying.

Brett: Yes.

Jules Winnfield: Describe what Marcellus Wallace looks like.

Brett: What, I-?

Jules Winnfield: [pointing his gun] Say what again. SAY WHAT AGAIN. I dare you, I double dare you, motherfucker. Say what one more goddamn time.

Brett: He's b-b-black.

Jules Winnfield: Go on.

Brett: He's bald.

Jules Winnfield: Does he look like a bitch?

Brett: What?

[Jules shoots Brett in shoulder.]

Jules Winnfield: DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Brett: No.

Jules Winnfield: Then why you try to fuck him like a bitch, Brett?

Brett: I didn't.

Jules Winnfield: Yes you did. Yes you did, Brett. You tried to fuck him. And Marcellus Wallace don't like to be fucked by anybody, except Mrs. Wallace.

Which movie do you think of when you think of cool dialogues? For me, its Pulp Fiction. This movie has some of the funniest lines ever, and Quentin Tarantino is one of the best script writers ever!

The magic of this movie (which escapes a lot of people who are not so enamored of Quentin's hard-boiled style) is compounded by the fantastic virtuoso performances by a brilliant cast. Though names like Christopher Walken and Harvey Keitel are too big to owe Quentin any star-making debts, this movie turned around the careers of a bunch of actors - Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, Ving Rhames and Uma Thurman, and probably the biggest debt is owed by John Travolta.

Pulp Fiction works at many different levels - as a thriller, as an in-depth look at the LA crime scene, and also as a comedy. Scenes like "Zed's dead, baby!" and Quentin himself appearing in the "Does my house have a sign which says 'Dead nigger storage'?" scene are minor compared to the big picture, but stay with your forever. Then there is the great watch story which Christopher Walken recounts to the little kid without holding back any of the details! And who can ever forget the Gimp!

So, on Friday night, after a long day, during which I had to skip out of Happy Hour festivities, had to work feverishly away at some bugs which needed fixing NOW till around 8 PM, then had to hurry down to a little kids b'day party for cake and coke, it was the break I needed to find Pulp Fiction playing on one of the TV channels at 1 AM. Needless to say, the next couple of hours were spent marvelling anew at Quentin's masterpiece. May there be many more.

Follow that up with the classic Hindi comedy, Padosan on Saturday and the cult classic Office Space on Sunday, not a bad weekend for a movie lover. My first time watching "Office Space" in fact, which rather weakens my position as a movie lover. Enjoyed it thoroughly. I don't think any person working in a software company can miss the parallels.

Have to end this with the most famous quote from Pulp Fiction of course -


Ezekiel 25:17. 'The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyrannies of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepperd's the weak through the valley of darkness. For he is truly his brothers' keeper and finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.'

Now I've been saying that s*** for years, and if you've ever heard it, it meant your ass. I never gave much thought to what it meant, I just thought it was a cold blooded thing to say to a mother f***er before I popped a cap in his ass. But I saw some s*** this morning that made me think twice.
Now I'm thinking it could mean you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man. And Mr. 9mm here is the shepherd, protecting my righteous ass.

Or maybe it means that you're the righteous man, and I'm the shepherd, and it's the world that's evil and selfish. Now I'd like that, but you see that s*** ain't the truth. The truth is, YOU'RE the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

2 comments:

  1. Sahi likha hai dude. Do you really remember the lines or have you picked it up from somewhere. I agree with you fully that Pulp Fiction is one of the best movies ever made, even though I rate Kill Bill ahead of it.

    Rishi

    ReplyDelete
  2. heyy rishi, welcome to my blog. I remember most of the lines, since I saw the movie just on Friday for the tenth time or so, but i wanted to post the correct words.. so looked them up. I rate Pulp Fiction higher than Kill Bill, though I love KB too.

    ReplyDelete