Sunday, March 21, 2010

Jaane Na

I am not a fan of reality tv. Although you cannot ignore the mass appeal of many of these shows, most of them dont appeal to me. Most of them are full of cynicism, many are full of bitching, some are downright staged. But one reality show which I cannot get away from, for the sheer talent on display, is Dance India Dance.

This is one show I miss if I couldnt catch one of the episodes! I believe the talen thats on display here, is not just of Indian significance. Most, if not all, of these dancers would completely rock any international dance contest. And to top it all, the choreography thats on display here - no doubt enhanced by the brilliant performers - is undoubtedly better than anything you will see anywhere in the world. American and European shows dont stand a chance against the brilliantly choreographed dances by the Indian masters, Remo, Terence and Geeta.

I just thought I'll post videos from the show which really impressed me. This one is done by a very simple guy called Amar, from Gujrat. He has a real funny Gujju accent when he talks, isnt very good looking although like many others, he tries to turn on the charm sometimes! But when he starts dancing, he is one of the best in the world. And he isnt even the best on this show! But this particular performance rocked me completely, firstly because its on one of my favourite songs. And secondly, because Amar had not really danced in this form, a mix of contemporary and hip-hop/b-boying before, and we didnt really expect this kind of break-thru performance from him. Before this performance, Amar had found himself in the "danger-zone" almost every week.

So, for those who havent really been following this show, take a look. I want to do my bit in promoting these extra-ordinarily talented young people from very middle-class backgrounds.


No comments:

Post a Comment